Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes if using a microwave, 75 minutes if using a standard oven
Yield: 8 servings
- 8 russet or baking potatoes (about 3/4 lbs. each)
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 4 cups cooked broccoli florets
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Prick potatoes several times with fork. Place in microwave oven, four at a time; cook 18 to 22 minutes. If using a standard oven, bake 60 minutes, or until potatoes are softened and cooked through. Let cool 15 minutes.
- While potatoes are baking. Cook bacon in a large skillet over high heat until crisp, about 7 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper-towel-lined plate; crumble. Remove all but 1 tablespoon. Bacon drippings from skillet. Add onion and cook until softened, about 1 minute; cool.
- Slice open skin from each potato; carefully scoop out pulp, leaving shell intact. Place pulp in a large bowl, mash, and stir in bacon, onion, broccoli, sour cream, butter, salt, and pepper.
- Stuff potato shells with vegetable mixture. Sprinkle tops of potatoes with cheese. Place 4 potatoes in oven and bake 15 minutes, or until cheese melts and potato is heated through. Store remaining potatoes in container with lid and freeze.
Note: To reheat, thaw potatoes in refrigerator overnight. Place in baking pan, and cook 25 minutes in a 350 degree F oven, or microwave until heated through.