Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 55 minutes
Yield: 14 manicottis
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow squash, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 15oz. container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded provolone or mozzarella, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 14 pieces (8 oz. box) manicotti, uncooked
- 1 jar (26 oz.) marinara sauce
- 1 cup water
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add squash and zucchini. Cook, stirring. Until vegetables are browned, about 8 minutes. Cool 5 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine ricotta, 1 cup provolone, Parmesan, eggs, parsley, salt, and pepper. Transfer cheese mixture to a large resealable storage bag. Push mixture toward one corner and twist bag closed. Make a 3/4" cut in a corner of bag, and squeeze filling into each pasta tube.
- In bowl, combine marinara sauce and water. Spread 2/3 cup each into two 2-quart baking dishes, arranging in a single layer. Top with remaining marinara sauce.
- Cover 1 pan with foil and bake 45 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle with 1/4 cup provolone cheese. Bake 10 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Cover remaining dish tightly with double layer plastic wrap and freeze.
To reheat: Thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove plastic wrap, cover with foil, and follow baking directions in step 4.