Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1 (Granny Smith) apple, peeled and grated (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 tablespoon apricot preserves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 bone-in full chicken breasts
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. In saucepan, melt 2 teaspoons butter over high heat. Stir in onion and cook 3 minutes. Stir in apple, apricot preserves, salt, and cinnamon. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Cool 5 minutes.
- Peel skin off chicken breast, leaving it attached at wing joint. Place half of apple mixture on each breast; fold skin back over filling and secure with toothpick. Melt remaining 1 teaspoon butter and brush over tops of chicken breasts. Place in baking pan, and bake 45 minutes.
- Let chicken rest 10 minutes. Peel breast meat away from bone and slice.