Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 heaping teaspoon crushed rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) chickpeas
- 1 package (12 oz.) fresh broccoli-cauliflower mix
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add carrot, celery, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and bay leaf, and cook 5 minutes more.
- Stir in water, tomato paste, and chickpeas with liquid, and cook 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Remove 1 cup of mixture from pot and puree in blender; stir back into stew.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and stir in broccoli and cauliflower. Cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 7 minutes.
Kitchen tip: To prepare stew ahead of time, follow recipe through Step 2, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve. Then increase cooking time in Step 3 by 10 to 15 minutes.