Prep time: 35 minutes plus cooling and chilling
Bake time: 10 minutes
Makes: 10 servings
- Chocolate Wafer Crumb Crust (recipes follows)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 3/4 cups whole milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- 3 squares (3 ounces) unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy or whipping cream
- Chocoate curls, optional
- Prepare crust as recipes directs.
- Meanwhile, in heavy 3-quart saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt; with wire whisk, stir in milk until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture has thickened and boils; boil 1 minute longer. In small bowl, with wire whisk, lightly beat egg yolks, beat 1/2 cup hot-milk mixture into beaten egg yolks. Slowly pour egg yolk mixture back into milk mixture, stirring rapidly to prevent curdling. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is very thick or until temperature on thermometer reaches 160 degree F.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in melted chocolate, butter, and vanilla until butter melts and mixture is smooth. Pour hot chocolate filling into cooled crust; press plastic wrap onto surface. Refrigerate until filling is set, about 4 hours.
- To serve, in small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat cream until stiff peaks form; spoon over chocolate filling. Top with chocolate curls if desired.