Prep 10 minutes plus 1 week to steep. Cook about 5 minutes. Makes about 7 cups or 36 servings.
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 bottle (750 milliliters) 100-proof vodka (3 1/4 cups)
- With knife, cut vanilla bean crosswise in half, then split each half lengthwise in half to expose seeds. Scrape out seeds with knife, reserve pod and seeds.
- In 2 -quart saucepan, mix sugar, vanilla-bean pod, seeds, and 3 cups water; heat to boiling over high heat, stirring. Boil 2 minites, cool.
- In medium bowl, stir cooled syrup and vodka. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate 1 week to blend flavors.
- After 1 week, pour cordial into small decorative bottles with tight-fitting stoppers or lids. (You can leave the pieces of vanilla bean pod in the cordial if you like, or remove and discard them. Or, rinse and dry the pod pieces and use them to flavor a canister of sugar). Store in refrigerator or freezer up to 3 months. Serve cordial very cold.