Prep 25 minutes plus chilling. Makes 64 truffles.
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3/4 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and cut up (no substitutions)
- 1/4 cup almond-flavor liqueur
- 1/3 cup blanched almonds, toasted and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- In food processor, with knife blade attached, blend both kinds of chocolate until very finely ground.
- In 1 -quart saucepan, heat cream to boiling over medium-high heat. With food processor running, add hot cream, butter, and liqueur to chocolate, and blend until smooth.
- Grease 8" by 8" metal baking pan; line with plastic wrap. Pour chocolate mixture into pan; spread evenly. Refrigerate chocolate mixture until cool and firm enough to handle, at least 3 hours, or freeze 1 hour.
- Place chopped almonds in small bowl; Invert chocolate block onto cutting board; discard plastic wrap. Cut chocolate block into 8 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 8 squares. (To cut chocolate block neatly and easily, occasionally dip knife in hot water and wipe dry).
- One at a time, roll half the squares in chopped almonds to coat; roll remaining squares in cocoa. Store in refrigerator in tightly covered container, with waxed paper between layers, up to 2 weeks, or freeze up to 2 months.