Prep 10 minutes plus cooling. Cook 5 minutes. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds or 33 pieces dipped fruit.
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening
- 1 pound dried fruit, such as apricots, apples, pears, and pineapple. (In picture: 4 pineapple rings, 5 pear halves, 7 apple slices, 8 appricot halves, and 9 large slices of crystallized ginger.
- 3 ounces crystallized ginger (optional)
- Place sheet of waxed paper under large wire rack. In top of double boiler or in small stainless-steel bowl set over 2 quart saucepan, over 1 inch simmering water (double-boiler top or bowl should be 2 inches above water), heat chocolate and shortening until melted, stirring.
- With fingers, dip 1 piece of fruit at a time. Shake off excess chocolate or gently scrape fruit across rim of double boiler, being careful not to remove too much chocolate. Place dipped fruit on wire rack until chocolate is set, at least 1 hour.
- When set, store dipped fruit at room temperature in tightly covered container, with paper between layers, up to 1 week.