Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour and 50 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 lbs. beef short ribs, cut into 3" pieces and trimmed of excess fat
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlics cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) beef broth
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 package (8 oz.) carrot sticks (or 4 large carrots, cut into sticks)
- Sliced green onion (optional)
- In large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add ribs in batches, and brown. Transfer browned ribs to large bowl. Remove and discard all but 1 tablespoon cooking liquid. Add onion and cook 3 minutes. Add garlic and ginger, and cook 1 minute. Transfer ribs back to Dutch oven.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Add broth, hoisin sauce, honey, vinegar, and red pepper to Dutch oven. Heat to boiling. Cover, then transfer to oven. Bake until tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Transfer ribs to a roasting pan, and keep warm in oven set at low. Skim fat off cooking liquid, and transfer back to Dutch oven. Heat to boiling and cook 5 minutes. Add carrots and cook until mixture thickens, about 6 minutes longer.
Kitchen tip: In Step 3, transfer cooking liquid to a large glass measuring cup and place in freezer for 20 minutes. As it cools, the fat will rise to the top, making it easier to skim off.