Prep time: 30 minutes plus freezing
Makes: 16 servings
What you need:
- 1 frozen pound cake loaf (10 3/4 to 12 ounces), thawed
- 2 tablespoons seedless red raspberry jam
- 2 pints raspberry gelato, softened
- 1 quart peach ice cream, softened
How to make:
- Prepare Cake Dome: With serrated knife, cut top crust from pound cake. Place cake on 1 long side; cut lengthwise into 3 equal slices. With small spatula, spread 1 tablespoon jam on cut side of 1 cake slice. Top with another cake slice and spread with remaining 1 tablespoon jam. Top with remaining cake slice. With knife, trim off remaining crusts along sides of cake. Slice jam-layered cake crosswise into 3/8-inch-thick slices.
- Line deep 2 1/2-quart bowl with plastic wrap, leaving about a 2-inch overhang. Arrange cake rectangles along the bottom and up the side of bowl (slices will extend slightly above rim of bowl) to make a decorative design. If necessary, cut some rectangles into triangles to fill in any open areas, gently pushing cake pieces together to get a tight fit. With knife or kitchen shears, trim off overhanging ends of cake to create an even rim around bowl. (if you like, save trimmings to use as ice cream topping another day.) Place in freezer to firm cake dome slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Prepare Dome filling: With back of spoon, working quickly, gently spread gelato over cake layer to an even thickness. Place bowl in freezer 20 minutes to firm gelato slightly.
- Spoon peach ice cream into center of bowl; spread evenly. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and freeze overnight to ensure dome is frozen throughout. If not serving same day, wrap and freeze up to 2 weeks.
- To serve, uncover bowl and invert onto platter. Wrap towel dampened with warm water around entire bowl for about 20 seconds to slightly soften dome. Remove bowl and plastic wrap. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes to soften for easier slicing. Garnish dome with raspberries.