Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake time: 25 minutes
Yield: 6 servings per pie
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 package (10 oz.) shredded carrots (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 5 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoons black pepper
- 16 phyllo sheets (17"x12")
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Heat oven to 425 degree F. In bowl of food processor fitted with metal blade, process almonds, 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar, and cinnamon for 30 seconds. Set aside.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes, or until softened. Add coriander; cook 1 minute. Stir in carrots and 3/4 cup broth; cook 2 minutes, until carrots softened. Transfer to large bowl; stir in chicken, raisins, salt, and pepper.
- Place 2 sheets of phyllo in a round 8" cake pan, with dough overhanging sides. Brush dough inside pan with butter. Place 6 more sheets in pan, spoke-wheel fashion, 2 at a time (doubled), buttering between sheets of phyllo sheets covered to prevent them from drying out.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup almond mixture over phyllo in bottom of pan. Spoon half of chicken mixture into pan, top with 1/4 cup almond mixture, and pour 1/4 cup broth over almonds. Fold overhanging dough over pie filling, buttering between sheets of phyllo. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make the second pie in another 8" round cake pan. Wrap 1 pie tightly in plastic wrap and freeze.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Let rest 5 minutes in pan, flip onto serving plate, and sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar over pie.
To heat: Thaw pie overnight in refrigerator. When ready to bake, remove plastic wrap and follow directions in step 5.