Or if you want to frugal it, these are what you need:
- A pumpkin
- A sharp kitchen knife
- Metal spoon/ ice-cream scoop
- Candle with a holder
- And your imagination
- Cut a large circle around the pumpkin sted to make a "lid" you can pull out. The whole should be large enough to easily get your hand inside the pumpkin for cleaning.
- Scoop out pumpkin innards. Thoroughly clean out the seeds and pulp from the inside of the gourd. You can use a large metal spoon or an ice cream scoop works well.
- Draw a face or design on the outside of pumpkin. Use your imagination or a pinned on template (poke holes around template lines onto your pumpkin with a pin or big needle to transfer design).
- Carve out your design. With a sharp kitchen knife or pumpkin cutting tool, carefully carve out the pieces to make your face or design. Expect design "chunks" to come out in several pieces. Remember, this is sculpting!
- Clean and Illuminate. After your pumpkin is carved and cleaned, illuminate the inside with a lit candle. (Special pumpkin mountable candles/holders are recommended for safety.)
For a unique Jack-o' lantern, add a little glow paint, or fake blood. And you can insert a bowl into a carved pumpkin and add dry ice and warm water to create an extra spooky, smoke filled jack-o'lantern