Prep time: 12 minutes
Bake time: 30 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon each pepper and thyme
- Pinch nutmed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 package (1 lb.) frozen Italian style mixed vegetables, defrosted
- 2 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 (15 oz.) package refrigerated piecrust (1 crust)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large saucepot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Stir in flour, pepper, thyme, and nutmeg. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Whisk in chicken broth and half-and-half. Bring to a boil, and cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly for 3 minutes. Stir in mixed vegetables and chicken. Divided mixture among 8 one-cup baking dishes, or spoon into 2-quart baking dish.
- Unfold pie crust; use fluted pastry wheel or pizza cutter to cut pastry into randomly shaped pieces. Place pieces over top of filling, overlapping edges to create a patchwork pattern. Bake 30 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown.